Makes 4-5 Patties but can always double for leftovers
All spices are optional, just use what you have.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 cup cannellini benas, rinsed and drained if canned
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic scapes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Step by Step
- Boil potatoes in salted water until you can pierce with fork
- Saute garlic scapes
- While potatoes are boiling, in a large bowl, mix all spices, garlic scrapes and egg (whisk preferable). Add cannellini beans and cooked sweet potato and use whisk to break them up. Stir in 1/2 cup panko (reserving the other 1/2 cup for later) and then place bowl in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. This helps form them into patties.
- Remove mixture from fridge and form into 4-5 equal patties, then roll in 1/2 cup reserved panko crumbs to form a light coating. This will serve as a crust (see picture below)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. then place in the skillet once hot. Since the mixture can be wet and messy, do not move until they are fully cooked and golden on one side! This takes about 5-6 minutes. Then, add more oil if needed (this really helps cook them) and flip burgers very gently. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Worth the wait to get them crispy!
- Toast buns if desired.
Mixing together all the spices (use whatever you have!)
Removing boiled potatoes
Mix beans with spices and egg
Cover patty with panko crumbs
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese